Friday, December 7, 2007

Antigone

One of my New Years' Resolutions, which I always make in September, was to get back into theatre. It's been so long since I've been to a show and even longer, much, much longer, since I saw something that moved me. So, last night I got my sorry, red neck ass into the university theatre to see Antigone, by Sophocles. If you know me at all and the way I feel about theatre, you would know that the forthcoming statement is not one that I would normally make: It was fantastic. Go see it. (Quickly, it's almost done.) At the end of the show all I wanted to do was sit in my cushy seat and cry my eyes out. It was a smart adaptation with excerpts of current politicians' speeches inserted into the translation and the traditional Greek chorus replaced by a journalist character. Ya, it had an awkward start and some flat moments, but overall it was timely, moving and a great way to re-enter theatre, which is good, because if I had to watch another play about hockey or our great pioneers, my theatre self might have been done for.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lucky duck! I've never had a chance to see that play, but it's one that we talk about all the time. You've seen plays about hockey? Seriously? Only in Canada...

Mike S said...

Darn hockey play made it here once. Flopped at the local University Branch, which incidently, is geared toward liberal arts and fields(ices?)zero sports teams.
It's nice to sneak off for an evening to one of the productions of the various local Community Theatres within driving distance. We also have a good deal of 'summer theatre workshops' putting on a wide variety every summer when driving farther is possible:)

deanna said...

I just saw a wonderful production of A Christmas Carol. One homeschool momming perk; we have to attend the plays with our students. :o)

Cherie said...

Good for you, Angela, for going to the theater and for becoming sentimental. I'd go see it but, sheesh, it's quite a drive.

Plays about hockey? What the puck? Huh - as Christy said, only in Canada.

Angela said...

ohhhhh ya. like you all have never seen a play about baseball? sheesh. only in america.
heh.

oh, india and i also just went to our "top" theatre's production of a christmas carol. holy smokes. it was amazing. jacob marley scared her to pieces!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I live in Southern California, which is not exactly an epi-center of theatrical culture, so forgive my comment-- I've just never heard of a hockey play. The only baseball theatre I've seen was that musical with Jerry Lewis as Satan who tempted the guy into selling his soul so he could be a major league player... can't remember the name. (Does it actually exist, or was it just a nightmare??) But the fact that this is an American musical gives me no room to look down my proverbial nose at a hockey play...

Angela said...

ha! christy, i thought a hockey play was the lamest idea ever - way to alienate all audiences. but truthfully, baseball is much more romantic than hockey. it involves warm summer evenings for one.
jerry lewis is satan?
who knew?

Anonymous said...

Damn Yankees. I'm not condemning the New York team, I just wanted to tell you the title of the Jerry Lewis musical. It's called Damn Yankees. I had to look it up because it did not come to me. Type in "Jerry Lewis" and "devil" and there ya go. (Just in case you get a wild hair.)